Skip to content
Home » What Do I Need To Know About Travelling With A Pet?

What Do I Need To Know About Travelling With A Pet?

Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) comprising The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man has been part of the Part 2 listed third country in the EU Pet Travel Scheme since 1 January 2021, which is the date on which Great Britain left the European Union (EU).

The current pet passports are not valid anymore. There are also some changes to traveling in Northern Ireland with your pet. Learn our tips and be ready.

Going within an EU country, or Northern Ireland

Because of Great Britain becoming a Part 2 listed third country, any pet passport issued within Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) is no longer valid. Instead, you will require the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) to travel within and within Europe, the EU as well as Northern Ireland. A valid AHC is also required to journeys from UK into Northern Ireland. The AHC is valid only for one trip. You are able to add up to five animals to earn an AHC.

Pets also require:

A microchip
A valid rabies vaccination
Treatment for tapeworms

These rules also apply to dogs that assist.

Check the rules of the nation that you will be visiting for any additional restrictions or rules prior to your departure.
Can the current UK Pet passport still be valid?

The current pet passport , issued within Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) is not valid for travel to or within Europe, the EU and Northern Ireland after 31st December 2020.

If you intend traveling with your animal post the 1st of January in 2021 You will need to discuss with your vet the need for an Animal Health Certificate (AHC). This must be done at least 10 days prior to your travel date.

What happens if I return to or returning to the UK?

You are able to travel the United Kingdom or go back Great Britain with your pet dog, cat or ferret, if:

Microchips have been placed on the device.
Does the pet have a passport (travel to in the UK for only) (or health card (AHC) is issued by the UK (valid for 4 months from the date of the issue)
Have been vaccinated against rabies It will also require to undergo a blood test if you are from a nation that is not listed on the official government website.
A EU passport (issued within the EU or the UK prior to 1st January 2021)
A Animal Health Certificate (AHC) issued in the UK (valid for four months following the date of the issue)
The UK animal health certification (for travel to the UK only)

The dogs must also be treated for tapeworms by an experienced vet. The treatment is required to be approved for use in the nation it’s given and be administered for at least 24 hours, and no longer than five days prior to entering the UK.

There is no need treatment for your pet’s tapeworms when you’re traveling through Finland, Northern Ireland, Malta or Norway. There are specific rules for short-term trips, including treatments prior to your leave.

Your pet can be put in quarantine for a period of up to 4 months if you fail to comply with these rules.

There are additional regulations when the animal is going to be rehomed or sold within Great Britain. Check out the official website.
What do I have to do?

If you plan to traveling with your pet, you should be aware of the requirements for the future and make a plan for the future. Be aware of the following guidelines:

The conditions are for Part 2 listed third country:

Your pet, cat or ferret needs to be microchipped.
Your pet should be older than 12 weeks old.
Your pet should be vaccinated against the rabies virus (your pet should have a minimum age of 12 weeks old age to receive an rabies vaccination).
An AHC is issued by your veterinarian within three weeks following the initial Rabies vaccination.
An AHC is valid only to travel into Europe, the EU and Northern Ireland for 10 days from the date of issue.
An AHC is only issued by an official vet (OV). Every clinic has access to an OV. Please contact us to schedule an appointment as far ahead as you can so that we can ensure that an OV is on hand.
You’ll need a brand new AHC for each trip you make, and unlike pet passports, the AHC cannot be used for multiple purposes.
Once you’ve been admitted to within the EU and/or Northern Ireland, the AHC is valid for up to four years (after when it was issued) the issue) and allows you to travel between EU member countries (not in the UK) within the same journey. Then, it is allowed to enter back to the UK.
Ferrets may be able to spread new forms of COVID-19. In the event that you transport a ferret into England from outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man it is recommended to not keep it in contact with other ferrets or other pets living in your home for 21 days.

The steps above suggest that you need to begin planning at least 3 weeks before your departure. If you can, we suggest a longer time to ensure everything runs smoothly.

The certificate of your pet’s health is valid until the date it was issued for:

10 days to be admitted into Northern Ireland or the EU as well as Northern Ireland
4 months to travel onwards within the EU
4 months for re-entry into Great Britain

If you have any questions, please contact your local vet clinic and they’ll be able to guide you on the steps you must take and make appointments so that your travel plans don’t get interrupted.

How else will I require to be aware of?

An AHC from an official vet is now required to travel. AHC must be present for go to Northern Ireland. In the past, there was no need for a pet passport traveling in Northern Ireland – this changes beginning on the 1st of January 2021.
There’s no requirement to undergo a blood test following the vaccination against rabies. However, the fact you require an AHC for every trip implies that you must keep your rabies vaccinations current to date. If your rabies vaccination expires then you’ll need to restart and wait for 21 days to receive the AHC.
If you’re travelling and have more than five pets, different rules apply. It is recommended to consult your veterinarian.
Certain EU countries may require that your pet to undergo the treatment of tapeworms. This includes Finland, Ireland, Malta, Northern Ireland and Norway. Consult your veterinarian and always make sure to check before you travel.