Skip to content
Home » How can a Notary Public help me?

How can a Notary Public help me?

A Notary Public is commonly known in Australia as notary public or a Notary Public. They are Solicitors of senior standing who as well as practicing in their specific legal field They are also certified to be Notarial Practice. In Victoria the Solicitors are admitted to the Supreme Court as a Public Notary.

Public Notaries are able to witness and authenticate documents to ensure they can verify that the document is legally valid and recognized internationally take oaths, make statutory declarations, and assist in confirming an individual’s identity.

What do I get I get a Notary Public be of assistance to me?

The primary function of a Notary is to notarize documents in order they are legal and recognized in foreign countries. This can include but is not only limited to:

Certifying copies and the execution of business and legal documents

Witnessing affidavits and legal declarations and other papers

Affirming swearing

When you intend to make use of a document that you have obtained overseas, you’ll require a Notary Public instead of an Justice of the Peace (JP) to sign or witness the documents. The company, individual or Government department who requested that your documents be notarized could assist you in determining whether you need assistance from a Notary Public or JP.

Do I need the notary public 中文 or of the Peace or a Justice of the Peace? What’s the difference?

The decision of whether to utilize the services of a Notary Public, or Justice of the Peace depends on the purpose and location the documents.

The Notary Public (also known as the Notary) is solicitor who has completed a formal education to be a Notary Public in Practice and has been admitted in the Supreme Court of Victoria as Notary. On the other hand, a JP is a person with high character with good standing within the community. They have been chosen by Governors in Council upon the recommendation of the Attorney General.

All Notaries Public can provide the similar services of JPs. They can provide the same services as JP however, they also have their own signatures as well as an official Notarial Seal which is accepted in Australian as well as overseas as well as International courts. It is important to know that the services provided by JPs are only valid in Australia.

Why do I have to choose You instead of other Notaries?

We are aware of how important it is to have documents notarized quickly and efficiently on short notice. Our office is conveniently located within the city of Melbourne and you may also visit our second office located in Melbourne’s Eastern Suburbs. Every office is walking distance to public transport and parking spaces within close to each office.

Our vast experience in working in conjunction with Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and consulates and embassies enables us to provide an efficient notarial service to local companies, multinational corporations or private persons.

We are open 7 every day of the week to notarize your documents. We are familiar with the procedures and documents of many nations. As a result, many consulates and embassies are familiar with our Notary’s official seal and signature.

What exactly is an Apostille?

An Apostille is nothing more than a proof of authenticity. It indicates it is it is the case that Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has confirmed the seal and signature that is on the Public Notary that has notarised the document on which is an Apostille. Apostilles are only required to be used for documents that are intended for countries who have been a signatory to The Hague Apostille Convention (Convention 5 October 1961 Decreasing the requirement for legalisation of International Public Documents).

If a country is not a signatory of The Hague Apostille Convention, documents could require in order to get “authenticated” with DFAT after they’ve been notarized by Notary Public.

What exactly is The Hague Apostille Convention?

The Hague Apostille Convention is officially known as The Hague Convention of 5 October 1961, abolishing the requirement for Legalisation for foreign public Documents. The Convention was developed in The Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) and was accepted by 92 countries. In Australia the Convention entered into effect on the 16th of March, 1995.

According to the Convention the document will no longer require the document legalised by the consular or diplomatic services when that country has signed the Treaty. Instead, you just must present your notarised document to Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) who will confirm that the seal and signature supplied by the Notary Public is genuine. When the Notary’s signature and seal is confirmed, DFAT will place an Apostille to your document to show that the authenticity of the notarisation. Apostille: Apostille of a paper will be recognized by all countries that sign it.

The Convention stipulates the following: Public documents can be deemed to be:

Documents issued by an authority or official associated with the tribunals or courts of the State

Administrative documents are prepared for the Administrative Agency or Government Authority

Notarial Acts

If you need documents that are legally recognised in countries that aren’t signatories of the Apostille Convention, you may require having your documents authenticated by DFAT and also by the relevant consulate or embassy.

I’m required to possess an Apostille. What do I need to do to obtain one?

Apostilles are granted through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for all private and public documents that are intended for use overseas. Public documents are authentic document that is issued from the Australian Government (for instance Birth or Marriage Certificate) While private documents include contracts as well as powers of attorney. Private documents as well as duplicates of documents issued by the public have to be notarized by an Notary Public prior to when DFAT can issue an Apostille.

Could you give me more information about “authentication”?

Notarised documents that are delivered to countries that do not have been a signatory to The Hague Apostille Convention may require authentication by DFAT to ensure that they are legally recognized in these countries. The process of authenticating is DFAT checking whether the seal as well as signatures on the notarised document are the property of that of the Notary Public who notarized the documents.

Before authenticated documents can be sent abroad You must show those documents at the appropriate consulate or embassy.

We can help you authenticate your documents

It can be a bit complicated to authenticate documents and can take up a lot of your time. We are able to apply to DFAT to obtain ‘authentication’, and submit these documents to consulates and embassies on behalf of you. If you would like a free consultation, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.