Skip to content
Home » The Flood Risk Assessment: When and Why?

The Flood Risk Assessment: When and Why?

Permitted Development Rights (PDRs) are the right to make modifications to buildings without the need to seek permission to plan. A prior approval is required from the Local Planning Authority (LPA) for specific aspects of the proposed development prior to when PDRs can be granted.
Are there assessments of flood risk needed for applications for prior approval?

If the project you are working on falls under one of these categories and your land is located within the flood zones 2 or 3 it’s a lawful requirement that you provide a specific site analysis for the risk of flooding to the local authority. The local authority can require additional reports, like an assessment of land that is contaminated or mitigation plans. If the proposed development is located within flood zone 1 it is highly unlikely that it will flood unless there is a significant drainage issues or the possibility of surface or groundwater flooding.

Mixed Use – Class M
Class O – Office to Residence
Storage and Distribution to the Residential Class P
Class Q Agricultural Buildings, from Housings
Commercial Buildings for Agriculture Use – Class R
Agriculture Buildings for Schools or Nurseries for Class S
Class T: Buildings and land for nurseries and schools

Planning Policy Guidance (PPG) Also, it declares that LPAs are able to assist in determining if prior approval is required for a region that is at danger of flooding. The applicant must:

“An assessment of the risk of flooding. This will show how flood risk to the building are dealt with to ensure that it is safe for the duration of its existence.

What kinds of changes aren’t considered to be assessment of flood risk?

There is no obligation for assessments of flood risk to be carried out for the following categories:

Enhancement, enlargement or alteration-Class A
Additional roofs- Class B
Other roof modifications-Class C
Porches-Class D
Outbuildings – Classe E

The LPA may want to confirm that any changes to the footprint of the house, particularly, do not increase the chance of flooding adjacent homes with permeable construction materials.

What is the planning permission I require to upgrade my driveway?

Permeable (or porous) driveways of any dimension that permit water to flow through them, like gravel concrete block paving permeable asphalt, or porous asphalt, do not need approval for planning.

Planning permits are required for traditional impermeable driveways with a surface area that exceeds five meters. The driveways won’t permit water to flow into an area that is permeable. The report must be sustainable in order to prevent flooding to third parties.

This is only applicable to homes and not to maisonettes or flats.

Only front gardens can be allowed to develop with permitted development rights. It is possible that you will require permission for the construction of fencing, walls or gates and dropping kerbs.

What should I do if my development is situated in an area that is prone to flooding?

If the development you are planning to build is situated in a flood-prone area it is required to submit a plan showing the floor plans as well as flood levels.

In accordance with the government’s standing guidance the floor level should not be less than the current floor level or more than 300mm over the an estimated flood level.

It is possible that you will require additional measures to ensure that your structures are able to withstand floods and are abrasive. These measures must be in line with the guidelines to improve the flood resistance of new structures.

In your plans the steps you take to make sure that the area isn’t submerged by water. This may include the use of flood barriers or redirecting surface water away.

It is necessary to make an assessment of the risk of flooding if your minor extension is in an area with a greater risk of flooding due to numerous minor extensions. If this is the case for you then your LPA will notify you.

Can development that is allowed to continue be prevented?

LPAs can suspend their development rights in their region in certain conditions. This is in accordance with Article 4 of the 2015 Order. Notification is required to the Secretary of State. He is able to modify or cancel most Article 4.

An LPA might consider introducing an article 4 directive that will “protect local amenities and the health of residents” in the event of assessing flooding risks posed by permitted development.

Clearer Pictures

We know the ways that flooding from groundwater, rivers and surface water impacts the development and property sites. Our flood risk assessment experts can provide you with information on flood zones, restrictions and risks that could affect the development permit of your client.